If you’re looking for a nursery for your child, it can be difficult to know what to look for, especially if this is your first child.
While there are likely a good number of friends and family offering advice, you will want to know that your child will be safe, looked after properly, and be happy there. Many of us have all been in the same position, so we have our top ten tips for choosing a nursery.
1. One of the first things to check is if the nursery you are considering is registered with Ofsted, and you should ask to see the most recent Ofsted report which will detail the quality of nursery education and care, as well as the appropriateness of the equipment and facilities.
2. When visiting the nurse, you may want to check that they have an established history, offer a warm welcome and a pleasant atmosphere, that there is a safe and stimulating outdoor play area, and the facilities look bright, clean, attractive and warm. You might also want to check for parking, for when you drop off and pick up your child.
3. Is there food fresh and is it also prepared daily? Can they cater for special diets? Are the menus varied as well as nutritional?
4. Do the children present appear to be happy and occupied, and is there a good staff to child ratio?
5. As well as happy staff, do they have the right qualifications, such as being trained in Paediatric First Aid, have been DBS checked?
6. How will staff record your child’s activities and achievements, and do you have a single point of contact?
7. What will the charge be, and what does this include?
8. What provision is there for activities, potty training, emergency procedures, discipline & other nursery policies?
9. Did you enjoy your visit, and did the nursery offer any trial sessions?
10. Speak to friends and family when choosing a nursery – personal recommendations are an excellent start. If possible look at thank you notes as well as the testimonials on websites.
If you’re looking for children’s nurseries in Manchester, then talk to us today!